Throughout 2016-2017, the Washington College Access Network (WCAN), Puget Sound College and Career Network (PSCCN), and the Community Center for Education Results (CCER) conducted student focus groups across the state to determine ways to support College Bound Scholarship (CBS) students in high school. Focus groups and surveys with over 800 primarily CBS students from urban, suburban and rural communities, found that the College Bound Scholarship and the steps to prepare for college are not well understood.
As a solution, the College Knowledge Project emerged— 23 digital handouts, covering the most requested college readiness topics. Students provided continuous feedback that led to the final materials. We are offering these digital handouts in the top five languages spoken at home by students in Washington State: English, Russian, Somali, Spanish and Vietnamese. We hope to have the translated documents available by January 2018 and will post those documents here as soon as they become available.
College Knowledge Project Team: A Collaborative Effort Across Organizations
This work is made possible due to the generous time, effort and contribution across several organizations:
- Community Center for Education Results
- Puget Sound College & Career Network
- Washington College Access Network
- Washington Student Achievement Council
In addition to students, practitioners and educators across Washington State reviewed and provided expert feedback on all content and design elements.Join us as we continue to grow this work!
Throughout 2017-2018, we hope to learn from you and students about how these materials are used and evaluate their impact. We plan to continue developing tools that can help you better support students and families in preparing for college.
College Knowledge Materials:
By Grade: These packets are come with a grade level specific month by month timeline and corresponding digital handouts.
By Chapter: This set of digital handouts are grouped together by chapter theme.
- Chapter 1 – About College and Career
- Chapter 2 – Getting Ready
- Chapter 3 – College Bound Scholarship
- Chapter 4 – Paying For College
- Chapter 5 – Applying For College
- Chapter 6 – Enrolling In College
Individual Digital Handout Pages:
- Benefits of Going to College
- College and Career Connection
- Types of Colleges
- All About Apprenticeships
- All About High School
- Picking the Right High School Classes
- Building Your College Profile
- Preparing For Your Senior Year
- The College Bound Scholarship: All About It
- The College Bound Scholarship: The Pledge
- The College Bound Scholarship: Accessing It
- Ways to Pay for College
- All About FAFSA
- All About WASFA
- Understanding Financial Aid Award Letters
- Researching Colleges
- Parts of a College Application
- How to Apply
- Making Your Decision
- Transitioning to College
- What to Expect Your First Term
- College Resources You Need to Use
If you are supporting students in King or Pierce County and need printed College Knowledge Materials please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.